2017 Consignment Agreement
Bethany Beach Books is proud of our history of supporting local authors and our consignment program for local self-published authors. Listed below are our terms and some important things to keep in mind about the consignment program. If you’d like to proceed with the Consignment Program after reading the terms & steps, please fill out the form below.
steps to our consignment program for authors
1. Read & familiarize yourself with our program and terms below
2. Fill out the form below
3. Wait for confirmation & acceptance to consignment program
You will receive acceptance via email. The confirmation email will include how many books should be dropped off or mailed to the store + instructions for payment. Do not mail or drop off any books until you receive this confirmation.
4. Upon acceptance to program, follow the email instructions to pay your one-time consignment fee
5. Drop off or mail requested number of books
6. Tell all your friends, family, hair dressers, baristas, and humans that your book is at Bethany Beach Books
6. Contact the store periodically to check inventory stock
Consignment program terms
- We are committed to supporting local authors and our local community. Books from outside our community can not always be accepted if we feel we cannot sell them successfully. You must receive confirmation that we will carry your book before shipping or delivering any copies to us.
- Consignment is labor-intensive: setting up paper records, tracking sales, and managing the inventory must be done individually and by hand. Also, your books will occupy valuable space on our shelves, which is limited. Authors should understand that there are expenses associated with simply making their book(s) available in our store whether they sell or not. We have a one-time consignment fee to help offset these labor costs. The non-refundable one-time fee is $35.00 per title for all consignment agreements post May 15, 2017.
- Our pricing terms are 50/50, which means the author doesn’t pay us anything beyond the initial $35 fee unless the book(s) sell. This also means BBB does not pay the author anything until their book(s) sell.
- We pay quarterly for book sales at the end of the month following the regular Accounting Quarter. Payments for sales are mailed by the end of April, July, October, and January.
- A program coordinator will be in contact with you to confirm the number of copies which should be brought/mailed to the store. If you are scheduled for an author signing event, you will be asked to bring additional books to sell during your event. Books sold at such an event will be added to our inventory for payment on the quarterly schedule described above.
- We review sales performance every three to six months. If, after a minimum three-month trial, we feel sales are too low, the agreement will be terminated and you will be asked to pick up any remaining books. Books will be held for one month after termination notification. If the consignor fails to respond at the end of a month, books will be donated to appropriate community service outreach organizations.
- It is the author’s responsibility to notify us of any changes in contact information. Also, it is the author’s responsibility to check with us about inventory status and to deliver new inventory as needed.
- We ask that author's promote the availability of their book at Bethany Beach Books on their social media platforms and events.
If these terms are acceptable, please fill out the form below. Upon confirmation of your acceptance to our consignment program, you may then pay your $35 consignment fee via mailed check or credit card online (instructions will be included in the email). Please note it can take up to two weeks for your application to be processed and for you to be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 14 business days, please then feel free to contact us at:
Amanda Zirn: Amanda@BethanyBeachBooks.com
Nancy Fanning: NancyFanning@BethanyBeachBooks.com
If you have any specific questions not addressed by these terms, please feel free to contact Nancy Fanning or Amanda at the email addresses noted above.
Beach Books reserves the right to make the final decision on accepting a book.